Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How to create the "Plesantville Effect" with GIMP

This is just one of many ways to achieve the effect. In this tutorial I will show you how I create photos with GIMP. I use GIMP because it is free and I like free things. You can also create this effect with other software such as Photoshop. So, here we go...





  1. Open up the photo you want to digitally modify with GIMP.












2.  Select the Background Layer, right click and select Duplicate Layer











3.  With the Duplicate Layer selected, Click "Colors" on the menu Bar and select "Desaturate"..make sure"Lightness" is selected and hit ok.










4. Right click the Duplicate Layer and Add a Layer
Mask.Select White(Full Opacity) then press ADD.

















5. Select the paintbrush with Black as the forecolor and paint where you want the color to show.


















6. Save the file and Export the layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment